Horse rescue on Brown Mtn?

Over the Bars Forum

• November 26, 2014, 01:08:34 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you have trouble logging in try your original login name (not your "handle") or a password reset with your email address.

Author Topic: Horse rescue on Brown Mtn?  (Read 1047 times)

rossage

• Hey, Bud, let's party!
    • View Profile
« on: November 13, 2012, 06:31:08 pm »

I was doing a quick Brown El P loop today when I was flagged down by a guy on the trail. His horse had gone over the edge of the trail on Brown Mtn heading down towards  El P. The horse went over just after a sharp right hand turn through a wet and muddy stream, and a flat muddy section of trail, with tall grass on both sides. The grass hid the nearly vertical drop at least 50 ft to the bottom.
The horse rider was unharmed, but shaken, and he handed me his phone so I could speak to 911. I explained where we were and we began waiting for help to arrive. We could hear the horse, grunting and thrashing downbelow but it was so steep we could not see the beast.
About 20 minutes later a LACFD helicopter spotted me waving my white jersey. The pilot  set it down long enough on a clearing below to let one Firefighter out. This guy was nuts! He came over, checked out the situation and jumped, stumbled, and slid on his ass down the same chute the horse went down.
He checked out the situation and told us the horse was nearly upside down inside the steep canyon. Not a good situation for the horse-or the rescue guys.
Two more rescuers were dropped off by the helo and they slipped and slid down to help also.
By now there was one LACFD helo on the clearing, one in the sky, and two TV news choppers joining the fun. The horse rider's buddies had shown up, on horseback, and there were runners, mtbers, hikers, and dogs passing through.
Another fire dept chopper set down and dropped off about 6 or seven guys and they started cutting a path down to the horse. The sun was beginning to set and I had been out there for over two hours. I had no lights and it was time to go.
I rode out of there without finding out if the horse survived.... :-\

AltadenaERIK

• Get it dirty !!!
    • View Profile
Re: Horse rescue on Brown Mtn?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 08:05:10 pm »

Good job, Ross.  Bet the horse rider was appreciative of the mountain biker's help.  Hope everyone ended up ok..

Some updates on the Altadena Patch:

http://altadena.patch.com/articles/injured-horse-needs-rescue-in-angeles-national-forest-above-altadena
Erik - AltadenaMTB

Niner SIR
Specialized Epic Comp
Surly Karate Monkey Single Speed Rigid

rossage

• Hey, Bud, let's party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 09:05:58 pm »

Thanks or the update and happy ending to the story. It's almost unbelieveable that the horse could have survived that fall unharmed.
The rider is named Jose and he trains/runs horses all the time on the Brown Mtn fireroad/trail. I have seen him and his co-workers out there many times.
It was a multi-use trail love-fest out there with the equestrians, mtber's, and hikers coming together to help out.

Kanga

• OTB Forum Admins
  • God Member
  • To expand your comfort zone, you have to leave it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 09:31:38 pm »

I got the word earlier this afternoon and immediately called my friend Pat (Cody's dad) since he's the only person I know who rides a horse on El Prieto. The reports initially said El Prieto, but apparently they were referring to the canyon, not the trail. Pat was at home and not involved, and said it was probably one of the vaqueros, the local hispanic horsemen.

Thanks Ross, and I'm glad you were there to do the right thing. I'll see what else I can find out about how it turns out.

HansG

• OTBIRA Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 12:14:18 pm »

Thanks for the update. This event also got a lot of attention at the ATCRWG meeting too:

http://altadena.patch.com/articles/letter-to-editor-horse-rescue-highlights-brown-mountain-fire-road-weaknesses

Looks like it may lead to sending the graders up there; although I do enjoy the singletrack that the station fire provided us. . .
Yikes!

rossage

• Hey, Bud, let's party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 01:14:13 pm »

Ha! I got quoted in that article! I am "one person on the scene". As any politician will tell you though, "I was quoted out of context!" ;D

I dont think they will be sending up the graders anytime soon. With the fire season over and the winter rains coming, it would be a waste of time and money.

AltadenaERIK

• Get it dirty !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012, 12:34:49 pm »

Rode Brown to El P last night and that section has been widened dramatically and all the plants trimmed back.  Much safer I'm sure...
Erik - AltadenaMTB

Niner SIR
Specialized Epic Comp
Surly Karate Monkey Single Speed Rigid

rossage

• Hey, Bud, let's party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2012, 07:48:20 pm »

I wonder if it was the vaqueros making sure they dont have this problem again? That was a sketchy section, and a little slippery too!

Kanga

• OTB Forum Admins
  • God Member
  • To expand your comfort zone, you have to leave it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2012, 09:35:37 pm »

The trail re-route was done by Banner amd one of his team volunteers a few days after the incident.

Hans

• OTB Forum Admins
  • God Member
  • Life is short-Ride hard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2012, 07:12:23 pm »

A few days after this incident there was a similar incident where a horse went down into a spot that had washed out on the North Ridge Trail. Park staff put up a temporary fence.
El Presidente

© 1994-2014 Over the Bars Mountain Bike Club. All Rights Reserved